Topics

Friday, January 10, 2014

Art and Sensory Supplies

We are  inside our home lots on these long, cold winter days. Many days simply because it is too cold to play outside or because someone has a cold or cough.  Tis' the season for finding ways to fill our time indoors.  Ways that don't always include Curious George, that is.

I have recently spent time restocking our arts, crafts, and sensory supplies.  I do not spend money on expensive supplies simply because I am learning what my kids love, and I would rather invest in a large range of activities rather than a few expensive ones.

I wanted to share these on my blog.   I hope it will help other mommies with  ideas! I also hope to restock as we need an item, but I am sure I will find myself checking this next year when I find myself out of everything!

I have gone back and forth on where to keep our art supplies.  I have had them in the upstairs playroom, stowed them away in a closet, and tucked them away in a decorative suitcase.  It always ended up being so much work to find them and carry them to the kitchen or outside.  I finally decided the best idea was to clean out a cupboard in my kitchen simply to hold it all.  I also keep several easy go to supplies in an old coke crate on top of our refrigerator.

Paint:
4 bottles of tempura paint--blue, green, yellow, blue. (Michael's Craft Store)
4 bottles of finger paints in same colors (Crayola)
watercolors (Crayola)
lots of little bottles of colorful paints. (Crayola)
cornstarch, flour, and food colors for making paint
paintbrushes--Fat and thin
4 color coded/ spill proof paint cups (Michael's Craft Store)
paint sponges
Do a Dot Paint-(Great for Clara)
Paint Markers

Paper:
finger painting paper (Melissa and Doug)
table top paper roll (Melissa and Doug)
art easel paper roll (Ikea)
construction paper
drawing paper
computer Paper

Other paper Materials:
paper bags
paper plates
coloring books
color magic coloring books
magazines (for paper ripping and collages)

Crafting and sensory supplies:
googly eyes
beads
buttons
 colored craft tape (Target)
glitter
glitter glue sticks (Pip Squeaks brand)
glue gun with glue sticks
wood glue
craft sticks
dry noodles
beans
rice
sea shells and sand
modeling clay
play doh making supplies--flour, veg oil, cream of tarter salt
play doh tools
salt - Great for tracing letters or for salt art activities.
shaving cream--great for sensory and tracing letters
white glue and glue sticks
child's safety scissors
letter stamps
other stamps
stamp inks
string
puff balls
pipe cleaners


Everyday essentials:
markers
dry Erase Markers
chalk
crayons
chunky crayons for Clara
colored pencils
color magic markers

Other:
Chalk board
dry erase board
trays for holding sensory materials- I use Melissa and Doug trays that came with other items. Ex-Lacing bead tray
muffin tins- Great for holding paint or sensory materials.
ice cube trays
trays for play doh
art easel (Ikea)
small art table for outside activities (Ikea)

Books:
Usborne's My Very First Book of Art
Usborne's First Book of Art
Usborne's Art Treasury
Mouse Paint (Great for Mixing Colors)
Eric Carle's "You Can Make a Collage"
Preschool Art




Disclaimer: I do not think you need ALL of these supplies.  Just sharing ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment