Topics

Monday, January 13, 2014

2013 book review

I honestly am more qualified to give a review of Netflix for 2012 rather than books. I could give a laundry list of reasons why, but I know that this is simply a season of my life.  I will never lose my love for books and gaining knowledge, and one day soon, my energy for reading will return.

That being said, I did manage to pick up a few books this year.  I read very few fiction books.  The year before I read piles and piles of fiction, but this year, I chose to read nonfiction with the little energy I had.  I hope to get lost in plenty of fiction books in the coming year.

Here is my list.  Authors are not listed.

1. To Train a Child-- I loathed this book.  I loathed the arrogant writing.  I loathed the impossible standards it set.  I felt like the writer expected parents to do things perfectly so that children would do things perfectly.  Impossible standards on both sides. I felt like they advocated child abuse and had ignorant parenting techniques.  Few and very few good things were gleaned from this book.  Yet, I have many parents I respect that loved the book, so I am sure it is all in the way you read it.

2. Chasing Fireflies-A Novel of Discovery--It was ok.  I can't remember much.  I just remember it was ok.  I didn't love it.

3.Midwives. I liked this.  It told the story of a midwife who was involved in the death of one of her clients.

4.John G. Paton-You Will be Eaten by Cannibals.-- Short, easy read for church.  This guy is one of Will's favorite people in history, so I loved learning more about him.

5. A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World-This was a D-Group read.  I took some great applicable things from it.  Very practical and full of stories from the author's own life.

6. Boy's Adrift-Loved this.  Very good read for moms and dads of boys. Go figure.

7. Grace Based Parenting- Loved this too.  I needed it badly after I read To Train a Child.

8.Kisses from Katie- I adored this book. I adore this sweet girl. It didn't make me feel guilty, but it did challenge me.

9.The Rhythm of Family- The Soule family is so intrguing to me.  I love the way they live slow.  I love the way they embrace nature.  I love the way they "unschool" their children. Not so sure they love Jesus though.  Wish they did.  That would rock.

10. Simplicity Parenting- One of my fave reads of 2013. Love the ideas.

11.The Creative Family-More from the Soule family.  I just read through it and was jealous of them.

12.One Thousand Gifts: Devotional- Wonderful devotional.

13. Handmade Home-More stuff from the Soule family.  A slight infatuation with them this year, but I am over it.

14.Out of the Spin Cycle-Jen Hatmaker replaced the Soule family for my most recent infatuation.  Love. her. writing.

15. 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess-More from Hatmaker.  Wonderful!  Challenging! Hilarious!

16: The Greatest Gift: Unwrapping the Full Love Story of Christmas-Best Advent devotional I have ever read.

I read two fiction books this year.  I read around 15 or so last year.  Not my most favorite book year. Nonfiction is good, but it is hard to get lost in a nonfiction book, with the exception of Jen Hatmaker.  I truly could not put either of hers down.

Any recommendations?  I am a sucker for a good memoir, so keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment