Topics

Monday, August 13, 2012

Hudson's Learning Plan

I am attempting to facilitate a little more structured time with Hudson.  Low expectations....he can't sit still for too long.  Here is my plan:

Breakfast: We have been reading a story from the Jesus Storybook Bible, saying the first 4 catechisms, and memorizing a tiny piece of scripture that goes along with our alphabet practice.  We also have been working on scripture memory in the car with Seeds Family Worship.  I am in love with the Character cd.  Our entire family has been able to memorize chunks of scripture through this.

Structured Learning Time:  This ranges from about 5-10 minutes per day.  We are going over a letter of the week.  I got this idea from the blog www.1plus1plus1equals1.net.  Basically, I have a little activity for each day. Each activity centers on the letter of the week.  The activities range from dot painting, stamping, dry erase coloring, sequencing, lacing, and matching.  Each letter of the week activity introduces him not only to the letters, but also to shapes, colors, and themes.  So far, this has gone well!

We are also continuing to utilize www.starfall.com for more letter practice.

After this, we have been reading books together.  Right now, we have a pile of truck books we are going through!

I am also trying to have craft time each day.  This may mean a simple paint, color, or marker activity, but a couple of  times a week, I have tried to get a bit more creative.  We are also doing crafts based on our theme or letter of the week, including making an ABC book.  This week, we are apple stamping, painting with fruit sponges, making ant fingerprints, and cutting and pasting.

I am also attempting sensory bins.  This week, I just filled up a little tray with rice and beans, and I hid the letter A throughout it.  I have seen some very intense sensory bins on the internet, but I am easing into it!

He is also having "room time" each day.  So far, he cries during it.  I hope he will grow to love alone time in his room.

In addition, I recently attended an activity swap, so we have several "busy bags."  These bags contain an activity.  Our bags focus on fine motor skills, matching, shapes, colors, puzzles, etc.  I hope to utilize these for when I am feeding the baby throughout the day.  So far, he really leaves to dump and fill.  I have kept him busy with counting bears, puff balls, beads, and coins.

This is our "rough" plan.  We will be spending lots of time at home when Clara arrives, so I want to find constructive ways to fill his time.  Thankfully, the weather will be cooling down then, so I hope to get him outside too.  Realistically, I know our "schedule" won't exist during our Clara transition.

Maybe I will read this in 4 years and laugh at myself. I probably will.




No comments:

Post a Comment