Topics

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I have that kid....

So, I usually use this blog to share the sweet moments of life. Those moments that make you smile and marvel at how grand we have it.

Not today.

Hudson and I attended our weekly storytime this morning. Before the last story, the lady gives all of the children a snack. Last week, it was sour gummy worms. Hudson thought they were awesome.

Today, as she passed around the snacks, Hudson sat in my lap saying, "please, please." She finally arrived at him. The snack was Cheez-Its. Immediately, my 21 month old started screaming. He went to her snack pail, grabbed it, and began digging for worms.

I quietly went over and explained to him that the snack was Cheez-Its, and he needed to try one. So, he tried five at once. Then, he proceeded it walk to the middle of the reading circle and spit them on the floor. One baby came over and tried to eat them.

I was mortified. My pride damaged. I didn't want to have that "spoiled" kid. I looked like an awful parent.

I cleaned up the mess, grabbed Hudson, and ran for the door.

I felt really mad at my almost two year old and overwhelmed at the task of teaching him obedience.

This is a hard job. I hope I never look at another mom and judge her for her parenting skills. We are all learning. My task it to help shape this little guy into the man he will become. The process is messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment