Topics

Friday, September 13, 2013

Two different babies/ Two different stories-Clara's birth story.


Clara's birth story can be found here.

Going into Clara's birth, I had no expectations.  I had been scarred by my expectations.  I wanted to live the polar opposite.  If they wanted to induce me, fine by me.  If they mentioned a cesection, bring it on. Sure, I planned on trying to breastfeed, but I was going to take that a day at a time.  If a nurse came into the room and suggested a formula feeding, I was going to be the first to grab a bottle.  I had not refreshed my  memory by reading any books.   This time around, I barely remembered what "Babywise" even said.  I wanted to go into this thing with as little plan as possible.  A plan scared me.

Funny thing is, Clara's birth was exactly my plan....for Hudson's birth.  I went into labor on my very own.  Contractions came quickly.  We rushed to the hospital.  I received no pitocin.  I had no IV.  I was given an epidural during transition so that my labor would not be slowed. She came quickly with very few complications.  She did poop in my womb, but everything was fine!  God had given me the plan I wanted, but he gave it to me when I loosened my grip on it and trusted Him! He gave it to me through another baby.

The whole hospital stay felt like a vacation.  The nurses did not even bother me.  I slept!  I ate.  I relished in people serving me and not having to take care of anyone but this tiny baby.  She seemed easy compared to the tornado that was my two year old!  In addition, not one nurse mentioned formula feeding to me.  It never came out of a single person's mouth.  Nursing was going great.  She was latching well and it didn't hurt.

I still had in my mind that I was going to take this a day at a time though.  I was going to take this whole experience a day at a time.  I was going to lay on the couch with this baby and rest.  I was going to nurse her, but I was ready to give her a bottle the moment I sensed the need.  Guess what?  A year later, and I am still nursing this sweet baby.  She won't even take bottles, and weaning her seems like a daunting task.   Never thought I would experience that side.

Clara was colicky, but since I was taking it a day at time, it never seemed like a huge deal.  There were weeks where she nursed terribly, but like I said, I was taking it a day at time.  I seriously never left that motto.  It worked for us.  It worked for me.

This sweet girl slept in our room for 11 months.  Hudson left after 11 weeks.  She slept through the night at 11 months.  Hudson did at 11 weeks.  She still has to be nursed to sleep.  Hudson knew exactly how to sleep on his own.  I made Hudson homemade baby food.  I never even fed Clara baby food.  Hudson had his first french fry and taste of sugar at a year old.  I caught Clara sucking down a ketchup packet this morning.  She had her first Chick Fil A meal the moment she reached for it.

I have lived the polar opposites of the newborn stage.  I am grateful for that.  I am grateful for the experiences on both ends.  Because of this, I do not believe there is one right way.  I am skeptical of information that tells me I will harm my baby by not letting her cry it out, but then again, I am skeptical of information that tells me I will harm her if I don't.  I am so thankful for this perspective.  We live in a world where moms feel pressure, when I really feel like every story, every family, every mom, and every baby is unique.  We are in no place to tell a mom what she should be doing.  

I am so grateful for my two very different babies and their two very different birth stories.


1 comment:

  1. I am the exact same way and I am convinced that Walker is neurotic and has to have things a certain way because that's how I was with him. Wyatt is laid back and easy because that's how I was with him. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete