Topics

Friday, July 8, 2011

Messy Motherhood

I had a good talk with a friend the other day about being a Mommy. I think I only thought about the positive stuff before I had a baby. There is so much excitement when your pregnant and rightly so! Many showers and gifts are given, and no doubt the new baby's room is organized down to the last onesie. It is glamorous.

Sure, you hear it is hard and that you won't sleep much, but I just figured a little bitty baby could not be that hard.

Well, I was in for a shock! Motherhood is HARD. I never knew how much sleep I could lose in one year. I'd taken sleeping late with no interruptions for granted. Not to mention eating a meal in peace. Insert a demanding toddler and that is over. Forget a constantly clean house and decor in just the right places.

I don't say that for a pity party or to discourage anyone from embarking on this journey. Before Hudson, my selfish little heart thought a baby would just fit right into my life. How silly of me! I am learning that God didn't mean for this to be easy and for life not to be hard. Raising a baby is LABOR. Yet, labor gives us joy. It isn't easy, but it is worth it. It doesn't mean we weren't meant to do it.

So, yesterday, I had shards of glass all over my kitchen floor, green beans in my hair, sauce all over the wall, and poop in the tub. I woke up a few times last night listening to my teething toddler soothe himself back to sleep. I got up earlier than I'd hoped to this morning.

Yet, at 9 am in the morning my heart is already filled with joy. I witnessed my sweet boy go for something he knew he wasn't suppposed to touch, and then turn to me and give me a hug instead. I sat in the floor while he handed me a book to read and laughed as he kissed the baby. I held him and saw how much he trusted me. I watched him smile as I sang his bedtime song.

I am confident today will be hard. I will loose my patience and have to walk away for a minute. I will grow weary from sweeping the kitchen floor over and over. I will wish I could take a nap. Yet, I am confident that this is all worth it. Motherhood rocks.

2 comments: