Topics

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

call it what it is

Note: If you aren't the main grocery shopper in your family, skip to the end of this post. It will save you 5 minutes of your life.

Extreme couponing....more like extreme obsession/addiction. I'm not talking to the average coupon queen. I'm talking to that lady who spends 20 plus hours a week preparing for a grocery trip. Don't tell me it's free! You simply got paid for working! There is no reason I should own 1,000 tubes of toothpaste or buy 55 jars of mustard just because it is free!

Ok, that was my soapbox for couponing. That being said, I love to coupon. I spend around 1 hour every week preparing for my grocery trip. I try to match up in store savings with store coupons, competitor coupons, and manufacturer's coupon. If it isn't on sale and I need it, I search for a coupon. Publix doubles my manufacturer's coupons up to 50 cents, so I can actually get most things cheaper at Publix even if it isn't on sale.

I also won't snag a deal simply because it is cheap. If it is bad for my family, it isn't worth buying. I try to limit our processed food intake, so even if it is cheap, I usually go with fresh produce, veggies, and fruit. I do however jump on Gushers when they are BOGO with coupons. They made my hubby's day!

For example, here is my typical coupon adventure. This week at Publix I got sweet potatoes, 2 jars of pasta sauce, 2 fresh vegetables, red potatoes, 3 fresh fruits, coffee creamer, feta cheese, hummus, pasta, canned veggies, pita bread, sour cream, lettuce, frozen veggies, 2 bags of shredded cheese, sliced cheese, dip, organic yogurt, yoplus yogurt, 2 boxes of granola bars, eggs, 2 cartons of milk, butter, and cereal. I spent $42.94 and saved $38.16. I was happy. I got only what we needed, and I got it cheap. I did have to make a trip to Walmart for a few things, but thankfully, we were pretty stocked up on meat this week!

Saving money is fun! I love to see those prices drop. However, if you see me hoarding bottles of shampoo under my son's crib, please gather my closest friends for an intervention.

Disclaimer--If you are that kind of couponer, I am in no place to say you are crazy. Just don't neglect your family in order to stock up for the rare event that we face a zombie crisis.

We recently had Hudson's one year pictures. Our photographer is wonderful! If you live in the Birmingham area, look her up! She is talented and very reasonably priced!

Here is her website:
www.laurarowephotography.com

1 comment:

  1. ooo thanks for the shout out!!

    I loved your coupon rant at the beginning. I'm with ya!

    ReplyDelete